WRONGROOM

My adventurous projects in the world of audio-electronics.

warning : I'm a musician, NOT an electrician. What I do to my own equipment, is not necessary correct! I enjoy doing DIY stuff, and thought it was cool to put up a kind of studio tech-diary, a modding-log

Thank you for looking, and I hope you enjoy what you find here!

best, Kaada

Feb 1, 2008

DuKane Limiter (model 2A80B )

It was time to try to make an old stocked DuKane limiter work again.  It was unfortunately impossible to find schematics it, so by trial and error I did some mods, and swapped out most of the old components. Here's what I did : 1) All caps swapped, and the big 0.47 filmcaps was changed to smaller types, to adjust attack and release to normal lengths. 2) Installed new transistors on input and output 3) new grounding 4) new PSU parts 5) The 5K trimpot in the compressor psb was moved to a new pot on the tront where the channel2 was before. 6) The socalled noise-gate was dropped (the psb to the left) 7) The limiter on/off button and the ratio button on the back was dropped cause they did nothing good. 8) shelded cables on the audio-cables 9)installed stereo-jack in and outputs

after "fixing"  (click to enlarge):
AND THE RESULT OF MY STRUGGLING AND AMATEURISH FIXING : Well,.... though the sound got cleaner, I dissembled the DuKane again after one week of testing. There was an snap-sound in the compressor-attack that made it too uninspiring to work with. Hopefully, I learned something. This one goes in the trash. What a shitty compressor, what a waste! 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wo, Lundal transformers! expensive?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home