WRONGROOM

My adventurous projects in the world of audio-electronics.

warning : I'm a musician, NOT an electrician. What I do to my own equipment, is not necessary correct! I enjoy doing DIY stuff, and thought it was cool to put up a kind of studio tech-diary, a modding-log

Thank you for looking, and I hope you enjoy what you find here!

best, Kaada

Jan 6, 2008

ASHLY SC-66a EQ

Now this is a special EQ! When something needs an edge, or some lo-fi eq'ing, I might reach for this one. It's rough on brassstuff, samples, and especially guitar. It 's got a notch filter from hell. They come pretty cheap these days, so I've bought two.

With the orginal caps in it, the frequenzies that I usually played arund with was 2.0 - 2.5 KHz and 90-120 Hz

I've been working on one of mine for quite some time, experimenting with different caps. Plus I swapped all the 4558 opamps with 5532's. It is now more versatile than before, sounds warmer and more organic. The other one I've just kept the 4558 opamps. They distort in a compressed way when driven hard, like a good overdrivebox - only limited to a sertain frequenzy, which is one of the things I like to try when I use it.

edit / UPDATE warning : the 5532s gave too much gain, so I swapped back to 4558 on the freq-pcbs. Later I plan to get rid of the bigger film-caps that I installed- cause they made the sound to eh....bloppy/boomy in the low-midrange. Also on the try-out list is to test out the OPA2604AP which are supposed to kick-ass!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wrongroom.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading wrongroom.blogspot.com every day.
    instant cash loan
    bad credit loans

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger hyde maintenance said…

    did you ever find a suitable replacement for the 4558?

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Cuebism said…

    I own that very eq, but I the high band gain/q settings on one if the channels act in a very strange way:

    The gain on that high band actually changes the overall gain of the entire channel, and when raising the q-value above 1 it starts to selfoscillate in a high freq.

    Did you ever make a similar experience with that unit?

    Lynn

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger hageir said…

    I put LME49720 in the Low and Output section in mine and the bottom became way tighter and has more space for bass. The output got more detailed, larger stage and more headroom.

    Worked very well, am thinking about adding output transformers on mine now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home