WRONGROOM

My adventurous projects in the world of audio-electronics.

warning : I'm a musician, NOT an electrician. What I do to my own equipment, is not necessary correct! I enjoy doing DIY stuff, and thought it was cool to put up a kind of studio tech-diary, a modding-log

Thank you for looking, and I hope you enjoy what you find here!

best, Kaada

Jan 5, 2008

TAPCO 4400 Stereo Spring Reverb

Todays project was to remove some of the noise from my Tapco 4400. It's a stereo-spring-reverb with character and eq. Here's what I ended up doing :

Handled the grounding first and wired grounding wires to one star spot close to the power-entrance to remove hum. There was several potential ground-loops, so I also removed the screws that made contact between pcb-ground and chassis.

Next, I put in +/- 18V-regulators and bigger caps in the powersupply, plus a 100nF filtercaps to ground. didn't hear any difference, but a cleaner DC power doesn't hurt.

The VU meter looks cool, but unfortunately it brought distortion back to the audio (on one side), so I decided to disconnect it. Maybe there's a short somewhere to the audiochain.

Last, but not least, the caps were changed and the 5K sliders was changed to 10K sliders. The unit dates back to 1976, and the connectors needed a good cleaning. The Tapco4400 is a brutal kind of spring reverb. And with a strong boosted input - it goes SPIOOOONG. With the 4band EQ you can shape it's sound, and since the actual springs are so big, it is mainly used here for extreme reverbs and 'creative'-effects. - I dig it on perc stuff, woodblocks etc. and dessert-guitars

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good job ! I'll do the same to mine

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want one! waaahhh

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous hide said…

    hi. which manufacture's slider did you use for replacing the 5k slider? I'm thinking about recap my 4400 and replacing some of the slider to new one.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What is the best way to sell mine? It's cool, but I don't have time to tinker anymore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home