WRONGROOM

My adventurous projects in the world of audio-electronics.

warning : I'm a musician, NOT an electrician. What I do to my own equipment, is not necessary correct! I enjoy doing DIY stuff, and thought it was cool to put up a kind of studio tech-diary, a modding-log

Thank you for looking, and I hope you enjoy what you find here!

best, Kaada

Jan 6, 2008

AM864 mod


Here's what I did to my old fav, the AM684 federal limiter.

As you'll see, I've put four controls on the front, instead of only one. If you own one of these, I'd recommend you to do the same. It makes a big diference in the way you'll end up using this fabulous compressor! They are ratio, input attenuation, and threshold and output-leveler. They are actually not Rato and threshold in a traditional sense. I see them more as tone shapers. but on the front I choosed to label them as opposite from the original. So the limiter threshold is my ratio pot. makes more sense.

All the caps were swapped out, off course, and some of the rotten old cables changed.



The last page of the instruction manual is funny. It's got a list of the ten best ways to destroy the unit if you suspect that it will fall into enemy hands. explosives are recomended.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    beautiful!

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would love to do the same to my Federals. Can you tell me how you hooked up the output pot? What value and where to connect it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home